EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES :
In addition to the academic subjects, students are encouraged to take active part in the following extra-curricular activities, which are organized in appropriate clubs and societies depending on that student’s aptitude and preferences.
The extracurricular programme is an important and integral part of the seminary formation. The school expects the students to participate actively in extracurricular activities to serve the following ends:
First, the programme allows students to develop and display skills that are not accommodated by class work – for example, in athletics, music, dramatics, public speaking, creative writing and chess.
Second, the programme provides means through which students may pursue excellence and achieve distinction. This may be especially important when academic distinction proves elusive: the student whose performance in the classroom is average, for example, can derive satisfaction and feelings of accomplishment from doing remarkable work on a publication in the literary club.
Third, the extracurricular programme helps to develop a sense of community and service within the school.
In the first place, most of the activities are, by their nature, collaborative -students are encouraged to work together within the context of the activity. Moreover, many extracurricular activities – for example, the Service programme, choir, drama club, and the literary club – are directed towards service of the school community.
Fourth, the extracurricular programme provides incomparable opportunities for social contact and for forming friendships. Because our club groups consist of members drawn from different class sections, year groups and houses, they encourage students to work together and thus enabling them form good relationships with other students. Moreover, extracurricular activities also allow for regular and informal contact between students and teachers.
Fifth, many extracurricular activities, both competitive and non-competitive, allow SASCO students to form social relationships with students from other schools. It is only via the extracurricular programme that SASCO students have regular contact with students from other schools.
In sum, then, SASCO sees that participation in extracurricular activities is an essential part of the seminary formation. Every master is associated formally with an extracurricular activity. In this context, it should be noted that the school does not think that academic success and extracurricular involvement are incompatible, or that extracurricular activities are suitable only for “superior” students.
There is no reason why participation in extracurricular activities should encroach upon time needed for study. Indeed, the school has found that its most successful students, in the academic sphere, are those who have been heavily involved in the extracurricular programme – perhaps because the programme fosters feelings of satisfaction and belonging, which are key ingredients for academic success.
A student is expected to have membership in two of the club groups. Club members meet every other Saturday for about 1 hour. As much as possible, students are given an opportunity to choose their own clubs.
Here is the list of clubs in the school at present:
- Debating and Quiz
- Home Management
- Information & Communication Technology (I.C.T Club).
- Journalism (Press Club)
- Music (choir and band groups with each student able to play at least one instrument)
- Nigerian culture (emphasis on Nigerian Languages and cultures)
- Skills development programmes:1. Electrical installations
- SPORTS AT SASCO :
- Sports enhance the sum total of one’s development physically, mentally, socially, morally and emotionally. Saint Augustine’s Seminary strives to explore and boost these five areas of human development.To this end, an enabling, student friendly sports environment has been created. Various sports activities that cater for the extra curricular lives of students have been introduced.
Sports activities here at SASCO include (but not limited to) Soccer, Basket ball, Hand ball, Volley ball, Badminton, Tennis, Table tennis and Athletics.
BREAKING NEW GROUNDS
Equipment have been procured for an additional Lawn tennis court and an indoor basketball will be constructed in due course.
- Students generally enjoy sporting life in SASCO. The Health and Recreation club through activities like Monopoly, Scrabble, Chess, Ayo, Ludo, Whot, provides fun, entertainment, extra curricular leisure and recreation to our students after serious subjection to academic pressure.After all, All Work and No Play . . .
It is worth while.
For inquiries regarding sports activities at SASCO contact our Sports Director